A patient requires teeth fillings when they need to get a cavity treated. In this procedure, the dentist removes the affected part of the tooth and space is filled so there is no further decay and you can have your normal bite back. Confused between the types of fillings? This might help you make a choice.
Silver Amalgam Fillings
Silver amalgam isn’t just silver- it’s a mixture of minerals that’s 50 per cent silver, tin, zinc, and copper, and 50 mercury. This old method used to be applied until 10 years ago but primarily owing to its unsightly appearance & safety concerns they are replaced completely by better materials.
Glass Ionomer Fillings
Glass Ionomer fillings are made of acrylic and a type of glass that releases fluoride in the teeth.
- The constant supply of fluoride keeps the tooth from decay
- However, they are considerably weaker than composite resins and are more prone to wear and tear.
- They need to be replaced every 5 years or so.
- They are best suited for children dealing with tooth decay.
Composite fillings are made of a resin and plastic material that is placed into the cavity while it’s soft, then hardened with bright blue “curing” light. These are the best alternative to natural teeth. There are multiple advantages of composite fillings:
- They can be customised according to the colour of your teeth and look natural.
- They are chemically bonded to the damaged tooth providing more structure.
- However, they need to be reviewed every 8-10 years.
- They don’t require as much drilling in the tooth like other fillings.
- They can be repaired in case of damage.
These fillings are also tooth coloured and made out of porcelain. These ceramic restorations are often termed as inlays and onlays.
- They are more resistant to staining and abrasion lasting up to 15 years.
- However, they can be as expensive as gold fillings and are brittle, so a larger area needs to be filled to prevent it from damage.
There are some major benefits of Ceramic fillings thanks to CEREC Technology. The main features of CEREC Dentistry are:
- You can get your filling in one single appointment.
- No more metal work required.
- No more temporary fillings between appointments required.
- Costs you less in the long run.
We have an experienced team of professionals at the multi-speciality Dental Health Care Center – Creative Smiles with Dr. Veejay Deshpandey, Dental Surgeon and Implantologist and an innovator in the field of Implant Dentistry heading the team. At Creative Smiles, we offer the most advanced dental services at very affordable prices.
Creative Smiles, in Thane, Mumbai can bring the sparkle back to your smile and help you attain a smile you’ll be proud to show off. To learn more, contact us to schedule your no-obligation consultation today!