Aphthous ulcers, also called Canker sores are small, painful sores that appear inside the mouth on the lips, cheeks, gums, and tongue. Aphthous meaning ‘to set on fire’ from the Greek language, these ulcers are quite appropriately named. The good news is that most canker sores heal without treatment within 2 weeks. Unlike cold sores, canker sores don’t occur on the surface of your lips and they aren’t contagious. However, they can be painful and can make eating and talking difficult. So how do we tackle Ulcers? Here’s everything you need to know.
What Causes Aphthous Ulcers?
There are a number of reasons why a person can suffer from Aphthous Ulcers. Here are the factors that cause Ulcers:
- Injury: Accidentally injuring your soft tissue like when you accidentally bite your cheek, or when braces catch or rub against the inside of the cheeks or back of the lips.
- Hormones: Hormonal shifts during your menstrual cycle.
- Diet: Lack of vitamin B12, zinc or iron.
- Sensitivity to Certain Foods: Sensitivity to chocolate, cheese, nuts, spicy or acidic foods.
- Medicine: Use of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen.
- Genetics: Diseases of the immune system like lupus, inflammatory bowel diseases and AIDS.
- Toothpaste: Toothpastes and mouth rinses containing sodium lauryl sulfate.
- An allergic response to certain bacteria in your mouth
What are the Symptoms for Aphthous Ulcers?
You are likely to show these symptoms when suffering from Ulcers:
- Painful sores inside your mouth like on the tongue, soft palate (the back portion of the roof of your mouth), or inside your cheeks.
- Burning sensations before the ulcers appear.
- Sores in your mouth that are round, white, or gray in color, with a red edge or border.
- In severe cases you may experience fever, lethargy or swollen lymph nodes.
What Can You Do About Ulcers?
Here are some ways you can prevent/treat your aphthous ulcers:
- Brush and floss after every meal you make sure no bacteria festers in your mouth.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles that does not irritate the soft tissue in your mouth.
- Avoid eating food that is acidic in nature or irritates your mouth.
- Use stress reducing techniques like meditation as ulcers can occur due to stress.
- Visit your dentist if the ulcers don’t go away for a long time. Ulcers treated with dental lasers exhibit almost complete relief of the symptoms immediately.
- Eat healthy foods like fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
We have an experienced team of professionals at the multi-speciality Dental Health Care Center – Creative Smiles with Dr. Veejay Deshpandey, Dental Surgeon and Implantologist and an innovator in the field of Implant Dentistry heading the team. At Creative Smiles, we offer the most advanced dental services at very affordable prices.
Creative Smiles, in Thane, Mumbai can bring the sparkle back to your smile and help you attain a smile you’ll be proud to show off. To learn more about the benefits of full mouth rehabilitation, contact us to schedule your no-obligation consultation today!