First impressions are the last impressions and nothing makes an impression like a picture perfect smile. Having bad dental hygiene can lead to a number of setbacks like gum disease, infection,heart disease and social anxiety. The perfect sparkling smile will make you look good,feel confident ,keep you brimming with charm and charisma. Read on to know how to take care of your pearly whites.
- Brush>Rinse>Repeat – We cannot emphasize this point enough. Contrary to the popular belief, you should brush your teeth after every meal but at the minimum you should brush your teeth twice a day. Brushing helps remove food debris and wards of bad breath. It also fights the settling of plaque on your teeth. Use ample amounts of toothpaste. Keep the brush bristles at an approximate angle of 45 degree to your teeth-gum line and move the brush in a top-down and back-forth motion.
- Floss – Even though this might seem like an arduous task but flossing will save large sums of money in the long run. Using floss is as important as brushing your teeth. Dental floss reaches the deep crevices between your teeth where the toothbrush bristles won’t. You can choose from a wide range of floss (floss thread,water flosses etc ) available in the market today.
- Clean Your Tongue – The tongue contains countless bacteria. An unhygienic tongue can lead to halitosis. Get in the habit of cleaning your tongue using a professional medical tongue cleaner.
- Mouthwash – This is the next best way of good overall dental hygiene. Mouthwash contains listerine or chlorine dioxide which helps in killing the leftover bacteria in your mouth leading to stronger teeth. Mouthwash is also particularly good for maintaining good breath.
- White Teeth Diet – Try to limit the frequency of acidic drinks, tobacco, coffee as they’re rich in phosphorus. A phosphorus overdose can lead to depletion of calcium in your body which in turn can lead to weak or decaying teeth. Stick to beverages like milk which are rich in calcium and help strengthen your enamel.
- Regular Dental Check Ups – Getting dental check ups every six months is a must. These checks up should be thorough and comprehensive. Regular dental check ups help identifying problems and diseases at an early stage.
- Use Sealants – Dental cavities that have been diagnosed at early stages can be treated and prevented using dental sealants like fluoride, resins and glass ionomers etc.
- Protect Your Teeth From Injury – Prevention is better than cure. Make sure you wear the appropriate safety guards while engaging in potential teeth damaging activity like sports, construction, manual labour etc
- Don’t Use Teeth Recklessly – Use your teeth but don’t misuse them. Don’t use teeth to crack nuts,remove bottles crowns or rip things open. Your teeth enamel is precious, once it has chipped off or eroded it will not come back.