Your gums hold your teeth together and it’s important to take care of them on a regular basis. Gum Bleeding can occur for a lot of reasons. It’s a sign that it’s time to book an appointment with your dentist. Here are the causes of gum bleeding:
Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that accumulates around your teeth when you don’t brush and floss your teeth. Thankfully, professional dental cleaning and bringing a few changes in your dental routine can usually take care of gum bleeding due to plaque.
Smoking is a habit that never benefits your body making you susceptible to various diseases like cancer, respiratory problems and of course gum bleeding. Smoking interferes with the normal function of gum tissue cells, making your mouth more vulnerable to infections. It also gives you foul breath.
Malaligned teeth, crooked teeth or teeth overlap creates a major breeding ground for bacteria to grow. With spaces between the teeth, cleaning them properly becomes a difficult task. This problem of malaligned teeth needs to be fixed with orthodontic treatment as straight teeth are always easier to clean. Then with regular brushing and flossing you can take care of your well aligned teeth.
Gingivitis may occur due to some internal health issues, hormonal problems, certain long term medications, or plaque when not cleaned regularly builds up on teeth and produces toxins that irritate the gums. Signs of gingivitis include bleeding, puffy, sore, inflamed or red gums. Managing gingivitis is important so that it doesn’t progress into a more serious form of gum disease.
When you are pregnant, changes in your hormones affect your entire body. Your gums are no exception. Pregnancy gingivitis is caused by a rise in the hormone progesterone which can contribute to an increase in the flow of blood to gum tissues making them sensitive, swollen and more likely to bleed when you brush and floss. Expecting a baby does not mean you automatically have problems with your gums or teeth. It just means you’ll want to take extra-special care of your mouth during this time to maintain your oral health.
Poor nutrition affects your overall oral health making teeth and gums weak. A diet high in sugar and carbohydrates and deficient in water and Vitamin C can lead to gum bleeding problems.
How to stop Gum Bleeding
- Right brushing technique : Brushing with a soft-bristle toothbrush in a circular motion will help stimulate your gums, help prevent bleeding gums and strengthen the tissue that protects your teeth. Also brushing once in the morning and once before going to bed is mandatory.
- Floss Daily: Flossing is one of the most important ways to help prevent bleeding gums and maintain good oral health. It removes plaque and food particles that may be between two teeth and under the gum line and lead to bleeding gums.
- Avoid Tobacco: Tobacco use can damage your gums, and can also make you far more likely to develop gum disease.
- Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: The American Dental Association recommends eating a balanced diet and avoiding between-meal snacking. Also, reducing stress from your life can help prevent gum disease.
- See a Dentist Regularly: Harmful plaque bacteria can even lead to issues beyond gingivitis like weakened tooth enamel. The cleaning performed twice a year at your dentist’s office will remove plaque and tartar that can’t be removed at home. This will help prevent bleeding gums and keep your mouth healthy. You should visit your dentist for a professional cleaning and dental exam at least twice in a year. This can help prevent early gum disease from progressing into more serious gum disease. Also any malalignment or underbites have to be addressed and corrected to improve health and life of your teeth.
We have an experienced team of professionals at the multi-speciality Dental Health Care Center – Creative Smiles with Dr. Veejay Deshpandey, Dental Surgeon and Implantologist and an innovator in the field of Implant Dentistry heading the team. At Creative Smiles, we offer the most advanced dental services at very affordable prices.
Creative Smiles, in Thane, Mumbai can bring the sparkle back to your smile and help you attain a smile you’ll be proud to show off. To learn more, contact us to schedule your no-obligation consultation today!