Going to the dentist to get any procedure done can be scary. People usually associate procedures like Root Canal to pain instantly making them hesitant to go forward with the process. Thankfully the truth about it is rather less gory and comparatively quick. Here’s what you need to know.
What is a Root Canal?
The purpose of a root canal is to remove the infected tissue in your tooth and fill it up without having to extract the tooth completely. Against popular belief this treatment is fairly painless and better than removing your tooth completely. It is usually performed on cracked teeth, repeated dental treatment on the tooth or teeth cavities.
What is the process involved?
You should be prepared and well informed when it comes to any dental procedure. It will not only make the process clear to you but also ease your mind especially when it comes to some scary sounding procedure like a root canal treatment. The process of getting a root canal is as follows:
- X-ray – The dentist will take X-rays to show where the decay is located. This helps determine whether you need a root canal or not.
- Anesthesia – The affected tooth is given a local anesthesia to make the region numb.
- Isolation of affected tooth – To keep the affected area clear of saliva, a dental dam is placed around the tooth.
- Pulpectomy – Pulp or pulp chamber is the soft area within the root canal. An opening is made and the diseased pulp is removed.
- Cleaning and Shaping – The opening of the root is cleaned and shaped so start the filling process.
- Filling – the roots that have been opened are filled with gutta-percha material and sealed off with cement.
Why is it important to get a root canal?
Apart from the obvious reason of relieving your tooth pain there are other factors involved as to why you should get the procedure done like:
- The swelling in your tooth can spread to other parts like your neck, ears, face and head.
- A hole can occur through the side of the tooth with drainage into the gums or through the cheek and into the skin
- You can experience bone loss around the root of your affected tooth
What Should One Expect After the Root Canal?
Your tooth can be hypersensitive for a while depending on how infected your tooth had become. Extra care should be taken like brushing 2-3 times and regular flossing. The pain or sensitivity can be controlled with over the counter painkillers.
There is a general misconception that the process of getting a root canal treatment is painful whereas with all the advances in technology and anesthetics getting a root canal merely feels slightly uncomfortable just like getting a filling.
We have an experienced team of professionals at the multi-speciality Dental Health Care Center – Creative Smiles with Dr. Veejay Deshpandey, Dental Surgeon and Implantologist and an innovator in the field of Implant Dentistry heading the team. At Creative Smiles, we offer the most advanced dental services at very affordable prices.
Creative Smiles, in Thane, Mumbai can bring the sparkle back to your smile and help you attain a smile you’ll be proud to show off. To learn more about the benefits of full mouth rehabilitation, contact us to schedule your no-obligation consultation today!